Monday, May 23, 2005

You Are Now Entering the Blogosphere!

Like standing on the diving board above the swimming pool in the early days of summer...waiting...for that first plunge into the deep, blue water. I know that the initial shock of cold will last only a few seconds, and then yield to the headrush that invariably follows. Yet, I wait. And wait. Nothing changes except my age by several minutes, but it feels like if I wait, I will suddenly feel more prepared. That, of course, never happens, and eventually, I am able to block out all thoughts and simply...jump in.

Splash!

Here I am. Having waited months to begin my posts, my thoughts on the world--particularly the Orthodox (or, if you prefer, Torah observant) Jewish world. What difference does it make what another Jew thinks and writes? Isn't this all simply an exercise in self-aggrandizement? Isn't this quite the opposite of my point above that everything should be done with humility (hence the name of the blog)?

Perhaps.

Yet, I am reminded of the comment of one of the Gedolei Mussar who said that it was worth travelling to another city to speak to the congregation even if only one person listens--and even if that one person is the speaker himself. So, as I enter middle age, kicking and screaming, I begin this blog mostly for me, as an archive of my thoughts and observations. Of course, I hope others will read it, comment on it, talk about it at the office water cooler and in shul (between services, of course). Yes, I want to be well-known.

Famous, even.

But, barring that I think I will still feel satisfaction from getting it all out. Or most of it anyway.

First, I want to establish some rules here. One thing I've noticed--and dislike--about blogs is that they are updated continuously, often with short, sometimes meaningless, additions. At times, the blogger has a spurt of good ideas, followed by a fallow period, when the blog starts to get stale. Moreover, the comments section on these posts are a bit all over the place, with people adding their thoughts on posts that are weeks or months old. I find it hard, and worse, uninteresting, to follow.

My idea, therefore, is to post once a week, every week, no more, and hopefully, no less, on a subject of interest that will hopefully lead to a productive discussion. I will try to get each post out early in the week. Then, I would allow a two-week period for comments to the post before shutting down that section. What can I say? Even though I'm a recovering Type-A personality, I still like order.

14 Comments:

Blogger TRK said...

CJ,

Good luck. Looking forward to it.

TRK

Wed May 25, 07:18:00 AM  
Blogger Renegade Rebbetzin said...

Middle age?? Hmmm... not sure I would have guessed that....

Feh. You can keep your interesting posts. I'll stick with my random update stream of consciousness, thank you very much.

(That was a joke, of course. I love interesting posts and I think having ONE additional one to read per week will be lovely. And perhaps inspire additional interesting posts of my own.)

Can't wait to start reading :-)

Wed May 25, 06:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome!

I admire your commitment to posting once per week. I must say, though, that I dislike your shutting-down-of-comments policy. Sometimes the best comments on my blog show up weeks or months after the initial post, as a new visitor comes through and starts reading through the archives. That's part of what makes a blog beautifully organic...

Thu May 26, 09:39:00 AM  
Blogger CJ Srullowitz said...

Thanks for your support, guys!

(I use the term "guys" generically to include gals.)

I hear you Shanna, but I'm not much into organic, myself!

RR, How old do I appear?

Thu May 26, 05:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You call RenReb a guy and don't throw in a "lulei demistafina"??? Are you running a fever?

Thu May 26, 07:09:00 PM  
Blogger Chai18 said...

should be interesting

Sun May 29, 05:13:00 PM  
Blogger tmeishar: said...

At the risk of sounding like a total idiot: what the heck does "lulei demistafina" mean?

Mon May 30, 11:43:00 PM  
Blogger TRK said...

TM,

I would answer but I think I'll leave CJ to answer and to elaborate on why he sues it in (nearly) every comment he makes.

It's basically a rabbinic saying that means .... no, CJ will do it. We'll have to tempt him slowly into posting.

TRK

Tue May 31, 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger CJ Srullowitz said...

tmeishar,

Lulei demistafina means "Were I not afraid." It's a phrase used by many of the Biblical, Talmudic and halachic commentators when they want to say something controversial. They say, "If I were not afraid, I would say..." and then they say it. Its a signal of humility, as if to say, who am I to propose such an original idea.

Is that about right, TRK?

Tue May 31, 08:29:00 PM  
Blogger CJ Srullowitz said...

Mirty,

You absolutely are right--you need to write every day.

What I am doing is working on posts as the creative process warrants (I currently have three in the pipeline) and then publish them weekly. This way, if I go dry for a bit, I still have what to say and my blog doesn't go stale.

In the (unlikely) event I have SO MUCH IMPORTANT STUFF TO SHARE WITH THE WORLD THAT IT CAN'T WAIT, then I will make a move to bi-weekly posts.

Thanks for your input; I enjoy your blog!

Wed Jun 01, 11:41:00 AM  
Blogger ptjew said...

Good luck. I have a famous saying I invented. You are going to tame the internet? Ha ha. You already posted June 3 and May 31. Your a great writer.

My blog is a modernized continuation of a diary I started on and off since I was 13.

The difference now, its readable, saved forever, anonymous, has more of a Jewish spin, I am more mature, and I am married with three kids.

Tue Jun 07, 11:00:00 PM  
Blogger PsychoToddler said...

Welcome!

Thu Jun 30, 07:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm gonna make my own journal

Sat Dec 12, 08:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

я так считаю: бесподобно... а82ч

Sun Feb 21, 12:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home